No Horry County Resident Is Immune to Fire Damage – Here’s Why

Reports by the National Fire Protection Associationindicate around 355,000 reported house fires each year. In total, these fires lead to over $6.5 billion in property damage, over 2,500 civilian deaths, and over 11,600 injuries each year. The statistics are astounding. More so, they should strike fear in every homeowner in the country. There is not a single resident amongst us who is immune to fire damage. Here in Horry County, you have relief in the form of local restoration technicians. These teams are able to reverse fire damage and protect your home.

Common Causes of House Fires

As we said, no one is immune to fire. In your home, right at this moment, there are likely many different fire risks you regularly overlook.


A lit candle might offer a nice aesthetic to the home. However, one can also lead to mishaps if you’re not careful. Every year, lit candles account for a substantial number of house fires in the country. Here are a few safety tips to reduce the risk of a candle fire:

  • Blow out any lit candles when you leave the room for long periods or head to bed.
  • Avoid using lit candles in the bedroom.
  • Keep all candles at least one foot from flammable objects.
  • Use a candle holder that is sturdy.


When it comes to house fires, the kitchen is perhaps one of the most dangerous locations in the house. There are countless fire risks in the space. Here are our top safety tips:

  • Remain alert and nearby when cooking and never leave a hot stovetop unattended.
  • Wear tight-fitting clothing and roll up your sleeves.
  • Avoid putting wooden utensils, paper towels, or oven mitts to close to a heat source.
  • Never place metal or foil in the microwave.
  • Do not throw water on a grease fire; always smother the flames with a lid.


An electrical failure is common with old equipment. Often, an electrical fire is caused by an overloaded circuit, a malfunction, or due to an overheated appliance, such as a washer or space heater. Consider the following safety tips to avoid an electrical fire in your home:

  • Immediately repair or replace damaged electrical cords.
  • Do not overload circuits or outlets with too many appliances.
  • Consider installing additional circuits or outlets to avoid using an extension cord so often.
  • Invest in a professional, annual checkup with an experienced electrician.

There are so many different ways in which a house fire may start in your home. It’s almost impossible to catch every single one. You can do your best to prepare and take precautionary methods, however.

For the best property restoration services including fire and smoke damage, contact Restoration 1 of Horry County by calling 843-279-3329!

About The Author

Jake Gervin is the president of Restoration 1 of Horry County. Jake and his team of professionals are all certified by the IICRC and have years of experience in home and commercial restoration.